Friday, November 16, 2012

November 17th - Candles Around the World

 
It is part of the tradition of International Suicide Survivors Day to ask everyone to light a candle and place it in a window, at 8:00 in the evening.  Since this is an international event, it means that around the world, as candles are lit at 8:00, it will take 24 hours to complete the cycle.  For some reason, since the first time we asked people to do this, it has completely captured my imagination. I love to think that if someone far up in the universe is looking down, they will see the world gradully lighting up, and know the lights are for their souls.

This is our third year of doing this.  I have found that people I know love this symbolic gesture, as it is so simple, yet is a visible tribute to those we have lost and those they left behind.  It warms my heart that I know each person is thinking of Erik as they light their candle, and they often send me a quick note or tell me later how they were sure to light their candle that night.

These are the things that join us together and bring us together.  A very small gesture, but done at the same time, and in the same manner, with thoughts and energy forming a net of love to catch our falling tears.  I read that "candles are a visible reminder of our possible triumph over darkness"...so for our journeys through the darkness of grief, we can use these symbols to give us light and hope.

Please light your candles tomorrow night, for all those we have lost to suicide, and pass the message on.  Thank-you.

No comments:

Post a Comment